It used to be the case that anyone who wanted to create a robot from scratch would require a degree from MIT (an awfully distinguished US University and not a misspelt glove), more tools than your dad and granddad had combined, and a grant from the government. Now you can find robot technology almost everywhere you look, from toy shops to hospitals. Finally, someone has put together a kit that allows you to build your very own robotic arm, and all it takes is a screwdriver and an afternoon of tinkering fun.
The Robotic Arm kit arrives disassembled and contains all the pieces you'll need to make your very own desktop droid. It's remarkably easy to set up - we managed to do it in a couple of hours - so you don't need to stress about soldering or advanced electronic engineering: as long as you have a screwdriver and some wire cutters you have all you need to get started from the moment you open the box. Once it's finished you'll have hours of fun finding out exactly what it can and can't do, using its controller to power the five joints and motors to swing the arm around and pick things up with its pincer like grippers - complete with spotlight for night work. So far we've managed to get it to take a pen from one side of the desk to the other, but it got upset when we tried to make it fetch our tea (luckily for us, the tea was cold) - it can only lift a maximum of 100g, you see. The best thing about it is that once your friends and family have stopped arguing over who gets to have a go next, you can swell with pride and tell them "I made that".
- A Robotic Arm kit with easy to follow instructions.
- Great as an educational toy for anyone wanting to pick up the basics of robot technology.
- A 5 switch wired controller gives you complete control over the arm.
- 5 motors operate the arm allowing it to grab, release, lift, lower and rotate.
- A search light is positioned in between the pincers making it easier for you to line up the arm and pick up objects.
- Will lift a maximum of 100 g.
- Requires a crossheaded screwdriver, long nose pliers and diagonal cutters for assembling (not included).
- As this is a kit it does require assembling and is not ready to work straight out of the box.
- Requires 4 x D batteries (not included).
- Optional USB kit allows PC control (select above)
- Suitable for ages 8 years +.
- Size: 38 x 22.8 x 16 cm (assembled)